Alot of people think NAVY is before Marines. Not so.
1. United States Army - 14JUN 1775
2. United States Marine Corps - 10 NOV 1775
3. United States Navy - 13 OCT 1775 Old Continetal Navy with British Ships - 20 JAN 1794 US Navy with US Ships
4. United States Air Force
5. United States Coast Guard
This directive established the order of precedence for the Armed Forces.
October 31, 1977 Number 1005.8
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTIVE
SUBJECT: Order of Precedence of Members of Armed Forces of the United States When in Formations
Refs: (a) DOD Directives 1005.8, subject as above, October 8, 1957 (hereby cancelled)
(b) Title 10, United States Code, Section 133(b)
I. REISSUANCE AND PURPOSE
This Directive reissues reference (a) to update the listing of organizations and to change the order of precedence. Reference (a) is hereby superseded and cancelled.
The provisions of this Directive apply to the Military Departments.
III. PRESCRIBED PROCEDURE
By virtue of the authority vested in the Secretary of Defense, under the provisions of reference (b), and pursuant to agreement with the Secretary of Transportation and the Secretary of Commerce, members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Merchant Marine midshipmen shall take precedence in the following order when in formations:
1. Cadets, United States Military Academy
2. Midshipmen, United States Naval Academy
3. Cadets, United States Air Force Academy
4. Cadets, United States Coast Guard Academy
5. Midshipmen, United States Merchant Marine Academy
6. United States Army
7. United States Marine Corps
8. United States Navy
9. United States Air Force
10. United States Coast Guard
11. Army National Guard of the United States
12. Army Reserves
13. Marine Corps Reserve
14. Naval Reserve
15. Air National Guard of the United States
16. Air Force Reserve
17. Coast Guard Reserve
18. Other training organizations of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, in that order, respectively.
Provided, however, that during any period when the United States Coast Guard shall operate as part of the United States Navy, the Cadets, United States Coast Guard Academy, the United States Coast Guard, and the Coast Guard Reserve, shall take precedence, respectively, next after the Midshipmen, United States Naval Academy, the United States Navy, and the Naval Reserve.
IV. EFFECTIVE DATE AND IMPLEMENTATION
This Directive is effective immediately. Forward two copies of implementing regulations to the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower, Reserve Affairs, and Logistics) within 30 days.
Deputy Secretary of Defense
Source: Department of Defense Directive, October 31, 1977, Number 1005.8
1 October 1998